Abi Everywhere
Discovering the world ... one country at a time
Playa Troncones

On the first day of our vacation, we all had to get up really early. Since the weather up here in the mountains was a little colder than usual, we all pulled on long pants, tee shirts and sweatshirts and headed out the door. With the car now packed, Rommel on his way to Emilio’s and the trash taken out, we buckled up and hit the road. About an hour later, we were out of the high mountains and it was HOT. We all pulled our sweatshirts off and rolled the windows down . The view was breathtaking. We flew along the highway, crossing these big bridges on the way. Now, these bridges weren’t like the "flat" ones I was used to. They had these big X-looking crosses on flat metal beams that gave you a good view of a lake called Lake Infiernillo which we believe was a series of rivers that were dammed up by C.F.E, an electricity company owned by Mexico.

Soon we could see on the side of the mountains where a part had been cut out for the old road or trains. Now every once in a while we would come to a tollbooth. We paid at each one and went on the highway. From what Dad told me when I asked, we have to pay for about two reasons: (1) this highway was very expensive to build; and (2) you have to pay to help keep the highways clean. The drive down and back up was beautiful. Not too long before we arrived in Troncones, Elea started to whine about how hungry she was ( she did not eat much before we left, and anyway Dad had had to go to the bathroom for a long time) so that gave us an excuse to look for a Pemex, Mexico’s gas company.

When we saw one – very close to Troncones – we pulled in and got out of the car and boy it was hot so I rolled up my jeans. We all went into the tiny restroom and we all came out feeling a little better. We entered the little store and got cokes and snacks and headed out the door. As soon as we were on the road again, Elea and I dug into the chips. We reached an old road and started down it to Troncones. Soon we could see the Pacific Ocean straight ahead, and on either side of us was the little town of Troncones.  Just before the ocean, the road split like a capital T. We went down the right one towards the hotels which we noticed were mostly Bungalows or a couple stories high buildings. When we reached some construction work going on at the end of this very long road, we turned around, having no luck of finding El Burro Borracho. We asked a gardener and he said we should have turned left at the capital T. When we arrived at the T, we saw a sign that said El Burro Borracho. It was so big I couldn’t believe we didn’t see it the first time.

When we arrived, we parked our big, dirty car under the shade of a coconut tree and stepped out. Then we headed down a little path sloping down hill to the restaurant of El Burro Borracho. The restaurant is right on the beach and has no walls, except for a little storeroom behind the kitchen. You can watch the waves from hammocks they have strung up between tables. You can watch your food being cooked at a counter in the middle of the restaurant. And behind the storeroom, they have two little buggy bathrooms and a cool water tower that looks like a bell tower. The owner, Vladimir, greeted us and gave us the keys to numbers 5 and 6, two bungalows we had rented for our stay. We took a look at both of them, and we really liked number 6 because it had bunk beds and a king-sized bed. Number 5 had only two beds, so that one was for Kristen. We all changed into shorts after we had unloaded the car. Then we went out the door again and headed to the airport.

Soon we arrived at the Ixtapa airport in the sweltering heat of the setting sun. I’ve never been in an airport that I can remember, but Dad said this one is pretty small. We were hungry, so we ate at the airport restaurant. I had pizza, and it was really good! Elea had a double decker cheese sandwich. Kristen’s plane arrived at 6:55. When we got back at El Burro Borracho, it was dark. We unloaded her things and went to the hotel’s restaurant because Kristen was hungry. Elea and I had cokes and quesadillas, but before long Dad had to put us to bed. He read us the first chapter of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, and soon we fell fast asleep, listening to the very loud ocean waves.

I woke up at 8:45 a.m. and went outside to the hammock on our porch. I was lying there, reading a book, when Elea came out and shut the door, locking us out of the room! Luckily, a few minutes later Dad came outside looking very sleepy. After breakfast, Elea and I went out into the Pacific Ocean and played in the surf. Mom came out and we started walking down the beach. We reached a place where a bunch of rocks sat, ranging from about the size of a computer mouse to a small housecat. A big wave came in and pelted our ankles with the rocks! Dad showed up, and we headed on down the beach where we found this little cove. Crossing over a small hill behind a rocky coast, we crossed a warm tidal pool. There was a spit of land facing a small section of ocean surrounding by jagged rocks, where the waves crashed and looked very wild. Since the waves were so rough all the way up to the shore, Elea, Mom and I sat on the shore close to the water and waited for big waves to come knock us over while Dad waded out to try to swim. This piece of land was for sale, and we dreamed of buying it and building a house on it so we could see this beautiful scene every day.

On the way back to our bungalow, we collected rocks, and I found one that was just the size of my foot. We mostly just played around on the beach and read books. In my next entry, I will tell you about our trip to Zihuatenejo and our boat ride!

2006-11-01 18:15:36 GMT
Comments (2 total)
Dear Abi,

I have truly enjoyed reading about your's and your family's vacation to the beach. The Pacific Coast is quite different from the Southern part of the Atlantic Coast, isn't it! I am glad you are having many wonderful adventures and meeting new people but still getting to see people you know.

Thank you for sharing your Blog with us. We read everything you write. You are becoming quite a foreign journalist!

Aunt Elizabeth SJ
--Elizabeth SJ
2006-11-02 23:11:43 GMT
Dear Abigail,

What a wonderful writer you have become! It is hard to believe that you are just 10 years old!
It was a pleasure to read about your family's beach expedition. I know that you will enjoy your next sojourn as well. Please share it with us in your next blog.

So now that you have been in Mexico for a while, what do you think? How does it compare to living in the southeastern U.S.? Do you have a preference for one place or the other? You are fortunate to have the opportunity to explore different places and live in a foreign culture. Enjoy it all!

Love You Lots,
2006-11-04 04:54:14 GMT
Add to My Yahoo! RSS